Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Gypsy Caravan, Christmas Style

Gypsy Caravan Christmas Version
Caravan front.

I am totally in love with this project.  The concept is just fabulous, and open to so many different style interpretations.  The pattern is called Gypsy Caravan by Laura Denison of Following The Paper Trail.


Gypsy Caravan Christmas Version
Caravan side, with the shutters closed.

This is just my practice project, one I 'whipped' up to make sure the instructions and pattern was accurate, before using my good paper.  I am glad I did too, because the instructions are at times a little mysterious, which is helped somewhat by watching the Ustream videos, but even then I threw out the first attempt because one of the measurements were incorrect and you weren't advised until the second video that this was the case, at which point it was easier to just ditch the one I had made and start again.  There are also instructions not included in the downloadable pattern that she goes through on the video, so be prepared.  If you want to make this project I strongly urge you to sit through all the videos before you start construction.

 
Gypsy Caravan Christmas Version
Caravan side, with the shutters open showing the cubby space.

I buy my chipboard in 30" x 17" sheets, and this used almost a full sheet to put together.  The paper range I used is by Jodie Lee called Father Christmas Papers which you can still find in scrapbook stores printed under the Pink Paislee label, or you can download it digitally from Jessica Sprague. That is exactly what I did, and then printed it out on matte photo paper using my inkjet.


Gypsy Caravan Christmas Version
Caravan rear, with shuttes and drawer closed.


The pattern comes with instructions to make a mini album to fit in the trunk of the caravan, but I wanted something simpler and quicker to make, and also something that would suit anyone, not just photo enthusiasts.  So I whipped up a little drawer that fits in that space which could hold all manner of doo-dads.  Notice it's a wee bit wonky?  That's why I do a test run, it lets me see what fits and what doesn't, so when I do a 'proper' one I am aware of any issues before hand.


Gypsy Caravan Christmas Version
Caravan rear, with shutters and drawer open.
 

The fabric trims and buttons I bought in 2011 in a clearance sale at Spotlight(Australia's poor cousin to Joann's or Michael's).  I liked them so much I held onto them and held on to them waiting for that special project... sound familiar?  Aside from the fabric trims I haven't added any embellishments.  As this was a practice project I think I will probably donate it to my son's school for a raffle, or donate it to the local hospital or something like that, and let the recipient fill it with goodies and add any extras.

Linking up with the following blogs:

Make it Monday:  Always Anything Goes
Use it Tuesday:  Make It Sparkle (gold tinsel on buttons and trim)
Inky Chicks:  Anything Goes
Shopping Our Stash:  Use Your Old Buttons (buttons as hub caps on wheels)
Through the Craft Room Door:  Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp & Show:  Embrace the Old (used up hoarded trims and buttons)


16 comments:

  1. Morgan...THIS IS PHENOMENAL! I love it! Everything about it is just amazingly beautifully done! Love the papers and all of the embellishments! The craftsmanship on this piece is just perfection! Thanks for sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW I am in awe this is fantastic love everything about it. Just popped over from MIM.
    Hugs
    Margaret M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is simply AMAAAAAAAAZING!!!! Saw it on MIM. FANTASTIC! My boy (3) wants to know if he can play with it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just amazing- so much work! You must be very proud. Such a stunning project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful project! So glad you were able to use your trim on this, it looks great on here! Thanks so much for joining us at Use It Tuesday!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute!!! I completely understand why you fell in love with it. Happened to me too at this very moment ;)

    die amelie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done an amazing job on this Morgan. I'm a big fan of Laura's designs and this looks like a lot of fun to make. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is amazing!! Thank you for sharing this week at 'Make it Monday'..
    Hugs,
    Marjorie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's pretty cool. Great job. I saw you on MIM

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous - wonderful paper crafting and the perfect colours and patterns. Well done you! Thanks for sharing with Simon Says Stamp & Show! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is just amazing. I love how you changed the pattern a little. Thanks for playing along with us at UIT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing job. I've never seen anything like this. Don't know if I'd have the patience to sit through all the videos to figure it out. You did a fabulous job. Thanks so much for linking up with us at Use It Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for joining in the button challenge at Shopping our Stash this week! What a fabulous creation! So many details and I love the drawer in the back! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Wow Wow!!! I am speechless! So glad you shared this with us at Shopping Our Stash!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow this is gorgeous, how clever, love it. janex

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just been blog hopping and came across this - that has GOT to be the most amazing craft project I have EVER seen. Truly mesmerising. Your attention to detail is awesome - I'm absolutely blown away with this, well done u, luv Jo x

    ReplyDelete