Saturday, August 20, 2011

Haunted Lantern

Haunted Lantern

Materials:
black card stock
adhesive
corrugated card
white pastel chalk
acetate

Tools:
glue gun
cutting and scoring equipment
Sizzix Big Shot
halloween embossing folder

Ever since I stumbled across this tutorial by Norma to make a paper latern I have been itching to have a go.  Initially I intended to make one using traditional halloween colours, but this (like my last halloween box) had a mind of it's own.

The tutorial is very simple and easy to follow, with lots of photo's.  The only thing I did differently was to use Glossy Accents as my adhesive rather than double sided tape, as it grabs quickly and doesn't come apart.

I embossed plain black card using a Sizzix Halloween embossing folder and sanded it back to distress the pattern, then rubbed a white pastel chalk over the raised areas to highlight it even further.  You could use an ink pad, but the pastels are quite 'dusty' which gave a really nice effect when softened with a brush. 

Haunted Lantern


The roof has corrugated card panels painted black, dusted up with white pastel chalk also.  The roof is the lid to the box, and this comes off so that you can fill the lantern with treats.  I 'spookiefied' the lantern by draping hot glue gun threads around the base and the roof seperately, so that when the lid comes off it's not going to take all the webbing off, although the great thing about this technique is the more broken and twisted the threads become the more authentic it will look.

1 comment:

  1. I just KNEW there was a good reason I became your stalker...oops...follower!
    What a fabulous creation!
    Definitely got to make me one-a-dem!

    ReplyDelete