Saturday, January 1, 2011

Grandma's Buttons

Grandma's Buttons


Technique Used: Basic Crafting Skills


You will need:
An old lightbulb
Variety of small buttons
Tacky Glue
Braid or ribbon

I have a huge jar of buttons that was started by my Grandma, and then passed along to my Mother, who in turn passed them along to me. A glorious collection of colours and textures, most taken from old clothes before they were turned into rags. I had been mulling around ideas in my head on how to use old lightbulbs, and this is what I came up with:

I followed this step by step tutorial on how to hollow out a lightbulb. I used a candelabra style globe, but a regular round globe would work also.

Once it was hollowed out and cleaned I went through my button collection searching for any that were a pink, beige or cream colour and small enough to fit through the top of the lightbulb. Once it was sufficiently full I glued a dusky pink braid around the screw fixture of the bulb using Tacky Glue.

The hanging part was my son's clever invention. Taking a thin piece of cord I threaded it through the holes of a button and tied the ends together, and then glued the button to the top of the lightbulb.

No comments:

Post a Comment